John starts into his real focus of the book -> LOVE, and how powerful it is in determining our walk with God. Love is foundation to our walk and sanctification process. Without it we are lost; living in darkness.
Top Level Notes for 1 John 2:7-11:
- Verse 7 – The old commandment that John is speaking of is Love. The same love that Jesus spoke about as the one of the 2 most important commandments. Love your God with all your heart, soul, and spirit and Love your neighbor as you yourself would want to be loved. Love one another as I have loved you – Jesus
- Verse 8 – John decides to take a negative approach and create a new commandment which essentially interrogates the one on Love in verse 7. When you are walking with Jesus then the Truth of the statement in verse 9 shines through.
- Verse 9 – You cannot say that you walk in the Light if you hate your brother or sister in Christ because that would be going against the commandment Christ gave above.
- Verse 10 – When you love your Brothers and Sisters in Christ you LIVE in the Light and the Light is in you. In the Light there is not room to stumble.
- Verse 11 – If you hate your Brother or Sister in Christ YOU ARE WALKING in darkness. Not may be or could be…YOU ARE. This person is straying away and is truly blinded to where he/she is going.