Top Level Notes for 1 John 3:11-15
Verse 11: The message from the beginning -> LOVE ONE ANOTHER
- When we love one another there is no room for sinning against each other.
- This is speaking about loving our brethren in Christ, the children of the same family of God; of whom we have been born again.
Verse 12: Once again John contrasts belonging to the evil one or the One True God. 1 John 3:8 and 1 John 3:10
- Envy and hatred produce murder. This is why John says ‘and one who hates his is a murderer’.
- Cain’s deeds, activities and works were evil -> God overlooked Cain’s offering because of his heart.
- That same evil heart beget jealousy over God’s acceptance of Abel’s offering.
- Cain’s eyes were blinded to God’s reason for honoring Abel’s sacrifice over his own.
Verse 13: The counter statement would be – Be totally surprised if the world loved you.
- Just as Cain, the world feels tacitly reproved by our good works.
Verse 14: When we love our brothers and sisters in Christ, we know that we have passed from this earthly spiritual death into life.
- He who does not love their brother or sister remains and lives in death.
- Love on our part is the evidence of our justification and regeneration; not the cause of them.
- Don’t mind that your glory is still hidden when you search your heart and find love, that is your confidence.
- Not unlike the plant during winter time, whose roots are full of vitality and vigor yet its leaves and branches will not spring forth until the summertime.
Verse 15: Hate == love not. There is no medium between the two. Love and hatred are like light and darkness.
- Life and Death necessarily replace each other as well as exclude.
- Indulging in hatred will lead to its natural consequences which is murder.
- Whomever one hates, one wishes to be dead.
- Such a one “abideth” in death, not the future state, but its present.
- The person who hates (loves not) his brother cannot in this present state have eternal life abiding in him.