Top Level Notes for 1 John 5:18-21
Verse 18: WE KNOW with absolute confidence that anyone born of God does not deliberately and knowingly practice committing sin.
- Jesus within us carefully watches over us and protects us from evil.
- The devil does not lay hold (get a grip) on him or touch him.
Verse 19: WE KNOW that we are of God. Everything around us is of and under the power/control of the evil one.
Verse 20: WE KNOW that Jesus has come into this world.
- He has given us understanding and insight to perceive and recognize Him Who is True.
- We are IN Him Who is True -> His Son Jesus Christ.
- The True God and life eternal.
Verse 21: Keep yourself from anything that puts itself above God in your life (false idols)
- Anything and everything that would occupy the place in your heart He alone deserves to inhabit.
- From any substitute for Him that would take first place in your life.
- WE KNOW – that true believers do not go on knowingly and deliberately sinning (practicing/committing).
- WE KNOW – that we are OF GOD and no longer part of this world ruled by the power of satan.
- WE KNOW – that our King, the Lord Jesus Christ, was sent by the Father to teach us about Himself and give us a model of righteousness and truth.
- Keep NO idols in your life that replace the Lord in your life. Your idols and God cannot coexist in your heart.