1 John [Day 2] – The entire laying out of the Christian life is right here in verses 6 – 10. What a joy to read the specificity in which John lays out the truth in simple if-then-that-else-this statements.
- THEOLOGY – When we say we are Christians and proclaim that we are partakers in the divine fellowship with Christ, yet follow and indulge in worldly desires and do not refuse temptation, then we are liars and do not practice the Truths of the Gospel. (Verse 6)
- THEOLOGY – Walking and living in the light means to live out the characteristics of Jesus. (Verse 7)
- THEOLOGY – The only way to have true unblocked/unfettered fellowship with Jesus and other Christians is to walk in the light. (Verse 7)
- THEOLOGY – When I walk in the light I am CONSISTENTLY cleansed from all sin that could mar my relationship and fellowship with God. (Verse 7)
- THEOLOGY – Heart, Heart, Heart, Heart, Heart!! We are fallen human beings born into sin through Adam. This fleshly body sins -> full stop. We must HATE our sin, otherwise we are fools and convince ourselves that we are GOOD people and deserve to go to heaven…only you can not earn you way to heaven. (Verse 8)
- THEOLOGY – When we ADMIT (present tense) our sin right away and are truly heart felt repentant of that sin, God fulfills His promise to forget/forgive that sin and will CLEANSE (present tense) us continually of all things that are not in conformity to His will in purpose, thought, and action. (Verse 9)
- THEOLOGY – If we ignore God’s word and make deliberate statements believing we have not sinned, we are in fact calling God a liar and false|not existent. It is the manifestation of the fact that His Word (Jesus) is not in us.